Streaming Video FAQ
How do I set up a Kanopy account?
- To create an account on Kanopy, visit midcolumbialibraries.kanopy.com and click “Add Library Card.”
- Enter your library card number and library PIN and click “Save.”
- Create your Kanopy account by entering your first and last name, email address, and a password.
- You will see a "Welcome to Kanopy!" page with information about how your account works. Click “Watch Now” at the bottom of the page to begin watching.
- A verification email will be sent to your email address. This email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: If you are not seeing this email in your inbox or spam folder, please contact email@example.com for help.
- Click “Verify Email” to complete your account set up.
When you are signed in to your account, you can access your user dashboard from the top right. On the dashboard, you can manage your personal profile details, watchlist, recently watched films, comments, and more.
How many videos can I watch?
You can watch up to five videos per month, and these checkouts are tracked on your Kanopy account with play credits. Once you press play on a video, you will automatically use one play credit. Once you press play on a video, you will have three days to view it as many times as you like without using another play credit. If you would like to watch the same video after the three days have passed, you will use up another play credit.
Additionally, two series from The Great Courses can be veiwed each month with access to the entire series for thirty days.
Enjoy Kanopy's collection for kids with unlimited checkout of any video in Kanopy Kids.
When will my play credits reset?
Play credits reset on the first day of each calendar month. Unused play credits do not roll over into the next month.
How can I keep track of my videos?
You can track your viewing activity by visiting “My Dashboard > Recently Viewed.” The recently viewed page will list every video you have ever watched even after the three-day period has ended. If a video is still within the three-day period, the list will include the amount of time left on that viewing period.
Can I create my own lists?
You can save titles to watch at a later date by clicking on “+My List.” You can access the “+MyList” option by either hovering over the title, or clicking on the title; either way will work. Titles are then added to your watchlist. You can see your saved titles by clicking on your username at the top of the page.
What devices can I use to watch videos?
You can watch videos on a computer or mobile device using a web browser. You can also download Kanopy apps for iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Android, AndriodTV, Chromecast, Kindle Fire, FireTV, and Roku.
You will need an internet connection to watch videos on Kanopy. Films cannot be downloaded to a computer or device; they only stream through the internet.
Can visually impaired users access the films?
Yes, Kanopy's website and video player are both fully compatible with all screen readers on desktop browsers as well as with iOS and Android devices.
Need more help?