The Mid-Columbia Libraries' Kahlotus Branch opened Aug. 24, 1989. The building, originally built in 1926, was purchased for $1 from Connell Grain Growers. Retried Support Services Specialist Kathy Meline, who ran the branch for 15 years, recalls that Fran Dufelmeir and Joe Robbins applied for a grant of $1,000 for paint, carpet, and some shelving for the building. The other shelving came from the old West Richland branch and the old Kahlotus hardware store.
The library is conveniently located on Weston Street with easy access from State Routes 260 and 263.