10 Tips to get your child ready to read
- Let your child lead by choosing the book, turning the pages, or even pretending to read to you.
- Point out writing in your home or other places you take your child, such as the park or grocery store.
- After you finish a story or TV show, ask your child to tell you what happened.
- Re-read books. Hearing stories again helps children understand the plot and recognize the pattern of a story.
- Play with blocks or puzzles together.
- Provide crayons or pencils for writing or drawing.
- Sing nursery rhymes together.
- Play rhyming games. Take turns coming up with nonsense rhyming words.
- Just talk to each other. Use the same words you would use when talking to a friend.
- Set a good example by reading yourself.